Steve Hui ( @iflyflat ) or “The Points Whisperer” as he’s affectionately known, is the Founder and CEO of iFLYflat – a rewards points specialist service based in Australia. If you’ve ever wondered how to create a level of luxury and access through your spending, then Steve is your man.
There’s no doubt that at some stage in your life, you’ve endeavoured to use your frequent flyer points, aimed for an upgrade or maybe just dreamed about a beautiful flying experience for once. Like most of us you’ve probably come to be shocked at how out of reach that really is, or how long it takes to accrue anything of value.
So with all of the noise out there on earning points through spending – how do you know the best way to go?
With Steve’s knack for numbers (thanks to his accountancy background), his passion for flying, and ability to analyse opportunities assists in this process of identifying the how, where and why for any business traveller, or individual wanting to book their trip of a lifetime.
As Steve mentions, Rich Dad, Poor Dad was the book that shaped his view on how he values money. It’s all about maximising those dollars to provide you with access – where you really can get that experience, if you just do the numbers right…and with far less money than you’d think.
In this episode we discussed:
- How the nickname ‘Points Whisperer’ came about
- The most impactful trip of his life
- The moment Steve realised iFLYflat was a business
- Finding his first customers
- How the service works
- The highest leveraged decision
- Important methodologies & buying points
- The experiences that can come with maximising points
- His favourite airline to fly with
- Simple decisions to make now, for better flights later
- How to learn more about the world of points
- How Rich Dad, Poor Dad influenced his life
Watch the episode:
- 06:05 – How the nickname ‘Points Whisperer’ came about
- 08:45 – The most impactful trip of his life
- 11:34 – The moment Steve realised iFLYflat was a business
- 14:00 – Finding his first customers
- 16:08 – How the service works
- 17:24 – The highest leveraged decision
- 19:37 – Important methodologies & buying points
- 25:26 – The experiences that can come with maximising points
- 28:36 – Keeping up to date with the changes
- 31:16 – His favourite airline to fly with
- 33:06 – Common mistakes travellers make
- 34:10 – Transferring points to different airlines
- 41:19 – Simple decisions to make now, for better flights later
- 44:15 – How to learn more about the world of points
- 48:02 – Something that will never change in travel
- 49:08 – A lesson learnt from his parents
- 50:22 – Morning or evening routines
- 50:40 – If he were to do a TEDx talk
- 52:29 – Best purchase he’s made under $200
- 52:54 – How Rich Dad Poor Dad influenced his life
- 53:48 – If he were to start with nothing, but with all of his current knowledge
- 56:08 – If he could have a billboard anywhere in Australia